Thursday, February 2, 2012

Never-Ending Musical Adventure

Nashville loves music. I love music.

Nashville loves cowboy boots. I love cowboy boots.

Nashville loves Jack Daniels. I love Jack Daniels.

Clearly, Nashville and I are a match made in city heaven.

Also, Nashville is home to Music City Hostel. And if there was a hierarchy of hostels, this one would be at the very top. But there isn't so you'll just have to take my word for it. (Seriously though, this hostel is awesome. I will be dedicating a whole blog post to it, but you should also check out their website: http://www.musiccityhostel.com/)

Staying here doesn't feel like staying in a hostel, it feels like living with a bunch of roommates who happen to be super talented musicians. We make fun of each other, share stories, share laughs, and do awesome things. It's pretty great.

And because everyone here becomes an instant friend, yesterday I grabbed by new instant friend, Damien, and we went off to explore the city.







Nashville is a music lover's paradise. And while I have always known this, I finally felt it. This city pulsates drum beats and dances to the sweet melody of guitar strings. It's in the air, in the trees, in the smiles of the locals. It's in the tingle you feel when you walk by a coffee shop and hear a beautiful voice melting your heart like butter. This city marches to it's own beat, a little off rhythm, sometimes skipping a beat, but with confidence, passion, and the glue that keeps it all together: love of music.

During our city adventure, Damien and I met up with our other instant friends to watch our other instant friend play at a touristy overpriced bar. (I am now tired of typing instant friend, and I am fairly certain that you are tired of reading it.)

Dennis, myself, and Brad. Awesome guys!

Tim Boucher rocking it!
You guys should check Tim out! He's unbelievably talented and his music is really fun. I would recommend listening to Please Don't Drink It All, it's my favorite. This guy plays it all and has a killer voice; check him out!
https://www.facebook.com/themightyboucher?v=app_178091127385

After Tim's show, we all caravaned back to the hostel where Mike fulfilled his American mission: Four Loko.


Clearly, he was excited. Apparently, in Montreal, Four Loko is the talk of the streets. After trying it, Mike was not impressed and soon switched to drinking beers with the rest of us. Good man.

And then everything vibrated in neon colors and the cells in my body pulsated with blues-y bliss. Why? Because of these guys.


Ladies and gentlemen- The Wooten Brothers. After hearing them play last night, my life has gained more meaning. No joke. If you haven't heard them, you're missing out. And if you're ever in Nashville, you must see them. They play every Wednesday at 10pm @ 3rd and Lindsley (http://www.3rdandlindsley.com/). And the cover is only $5. Totally worth it! You won't be disappointed!

We moved, grooved, and shook out tail feathers...even after the show.





....we grooved all the way to White Castle. Where we danced through the drive-through, got a few honks of envy, and enjoyed every bite of our fish sandwiches.



I asked for live music; Nashville gave it to me.

I asked for community; Nashville made it happen.

Life in Nashville is a never-ending musical adventure and I can't wait to see what the next week has in store. Whatever it is, I know it will be great. Nashville hasn't disappointed me thus far.

2 comments: