Monday, February 13, 2012

Recovering

(Note: The pictures in this post are irrelevant to the post. They are a few of the shots I took in New Orleans.)



The past month has been a blissful roller-coaster ride of incredible, body moving live music, and amazing, outrageously fun people. I've met and connected with more people in the past month than I have in the past year. But I've also gone out and partied more times in the past month than I have in the past year. And while there is absolutely nothing wrong with going out and partying on a regular basis as a young 20's-something, it's not the kind of life I want for myself and it is not the kind of life that makes me feel good and fulfilled.


Going from a weekend party in Louisville, to a huge week-long party in Nashville, to the ultimate mega party of all time in New Orleans definitely took it's toll. Yet I don't think I've had this much fun, heard this much unbelievable live music, or met this many incredible people in my life. However, when I woke up Friday morning, in a whiskey haze, after my fourth night of Mardi Gras festivities, my liver said no more, my body said no more, and my mind said no more. It wasn't fun anymore. It was just exhausting.


So I packed up my things, said goodbye to my friends, and hit the road with absolutely no idea where I was going or where I'd end up. I just knew that it would be impossible to find a place of solitude in New Orleans, especially not during Mardi Gras. In exhausted desperation I stopped in a motel a few hours outside of the city to rest, relax, and come up with some sort of game plan. HUGE mistake. This place turned out to be the sketchiest motel I've ever stayed at, and I've stayed at some questionable places. I will spare the details since my mother reads this blog, but it turned out to be a night of minimal sleep and constant trips to the window to check on the well being of my car.


Somehow, through the long night, I came up with a semi game plan. First question I asked myself-

"Do you want to go east or west?" Easy. West. Always west. I'm in love with the west.

Second question I asked myself-

"What is the closest big city west of here?"

Thanks to mapquest, I discovered that it was Houston, TX. Just 3 hours west of where I was staying. Next mission- find a place to stay. I knew that I didn't want to be in a party environment, yet I also didn't want to spend a fortune on a hotel room. So after doing some research I found a really awesome hostel that likes to keep things low key and quiet. (http://www.friendshostel.yolasite.com/)



And this place has been a life-saver. It's quiet, peaceful, and the people here are really chill. No stress, no parties, no worries. Another thing I discovered is that Houston is the most non-exciting, lifeless place I have ever been to. Normally this would have bored me and I'd be planning my way out of here, but currently I'm loving it and embracing it. There is no music scene whatsoever (aside from the nightclubs which are definitely not my thing), everything is closed Saturdays and Sundays (and I mean everything; walking through downtown yesterday was like exploring a deserted city), and there is no one currently staying at the hostel that intrigues me enough to go adventuring together. Again, normally all of these things would have me running, but I'm really enjoying the space and solitude.


Today is my third day here. In the past few days, I've been reading, writing, sleeping (!!!), and going for long walks. It's been lovely. I also had a chance to sit down and really figure out the next few weeks of my life without creating a strict schedule. Here's what I've come up with:

1. I am booked at this hostel until Wednesday, but I'm thinking of extending that stay for a few extra nights.

2. After I feel well rested and balanced, I will head towards Austin, TX where I'll spend at least a week; maybe more depending on the vibe of the hostel, the city, and the people.

3. Next I'll stop for a night or two in Tucson, AZ where I'll either couchsurf (depending on the potential hosts) or get a hotel room.

4. I may possibly stop in Joshua Tree for a climbing course, but this depends on my energy level and motivation.

5. San Diego! After a few recommendations from fellow travelers I decided on a hostel right on the beach. I plan to spend at least a week there, maybe more.


After San Diego, I will slowly make my way up the west coast towards Alaska where I plan to spend a few weeks in late May/early June. Everything in-between is still undecided and unplanned. But that's the way I like it. The best adventures happen during those unplanned months.


And now for the big announcement:

After my last west coast adventure, I'm leaving the states for a bit. It's been fun exploring, but I'm craving more. I'm craving a little more excitement, a little more unfamiliarity, more challenges, a new culture, and complete removal from my comfort zone. Currently on the radar: Thailand. But again, this is just a thought, which somehow (at least in my life) tend to manifest themselves into reality.


I have New Orleans stories, but I'm still a little scattered to organize them into coherent thoughts and sentences. I'm sure that with time, I'll share a few. But if you have any questions at all about places to see, stay, things to do, don't hesitate to ask! As for today, I'm taking myself out. Dinner and a romantic drama sounds about right :-)

Hope you had a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment