Thursday, October 2, 2014

Tis the Season of Change

As the leaves around me change and gracefully fall off the branches they have been nourishing, I am reminded of how normal, beautiful, absolutely breathtaking change can be. I look at the trees and notice how stunning they are for a brief moment in time, right before they are gone. As it is with change. Change doesn’t need to be dramatic, painful, and LOUD.  It can be quiet. Graceful. Even breathtaking.





There is an added calm and peacefulness that accompanies change when it is a result of following ones intuition. It’s a voice that whispers “Let the storm water and deepen your roots. Let the wind bend you so you bounce back stronger.  Let the darkness envelop you and bask in awe at the first rays of sunshine. Be here. Now. Breathe. You are exactly where you’re meant to be.”



For the past 5 years I’ve been following that little voice inside my heart with an unparalleled fierceness.  That voice is now part of my everyday consciousness. Sometimes it guides me through flash flooded deserts and raging seas; other times, through wildflower valleys and soul cleansing waterfalls. But wherever it leads me, I follow. I surrender to the forces beyond my understanding and trust, full heartedly, that these forces are supporting me with every breath I take.







In the past month, I’ve followed my heart’s pull back to Michigan. In less than two weeks, I’ll be following my heart’s pull back to Kalamazoo. Home. Kalamazoo is home. At least for now.
I’m bursting with excitement. I am intrigued. I wonder what it will be like to find the sense of adventure and the wild outdoors in my favorite mitten town. What will it be like to embrace a season of winter? Will I love ice climbing as much as I love the desert rock? In what ways will paddling the big lake be different than paddling the seas? Do I have enough wool socks? Will I get tired of the climbing gym routes? Will I love my work? Where will I fit in the community? I am excited to find out the answers to all these questions. For the first time in a while, I feel settled, grounded, and content. My heart is just right.


Yet in typical “Yelena fashion”, there is a trip on the horizon. Iceland 2015 is in the works and I’m excited to share details as they finalize. My mind is bursting with inspiration and projects are abundant.  I am writing again, reading again, and learning new skills at every possible opportunity. My body feels healthy and strong; aching for yoga and the balance of rock. I am inspired in a more grounded, steady way. I no longer feel the urge to run, though movement remains my natural state of being.  I am evolving, changing and embracing.

Also, did I mention one of my best friends is getting married?




Season of change y’all.

No comments:

Post a Comment