Friday, January 13, 2012

Unbreakable.

Once upon a time I was a college student (shocking, I know!).

Once upon a time I graduated from college (wait, WHAT?!)

Once upon a time I skipped my college graduation and ran away to the beach (yes, typical).


And once upon a time I lived with a roommate; for four years; all through college. She was beautiful and the good looking guys were always hanging around her. And because I lived with her, I got to hang around all the good looking guys. In return, I stayed up all night with her studying for useless exams while drinking excessive amounts of wine and possibly dressing up like cats and dancing around like fools 3 hours before finals. Drunk. (True story). It was a win-win.

Sometimes we would clean up nice and go doing whatever it was college kids did in those days.



But most of the time we would be staying up to wee hours of the morning trying to memorize useless information that was instantly forgotten 24 hours later. And again, there may or may not have been wine involved. And half naked runs through the parking lot in the rain, at night, to "wake ourselves up." And climbing over fences into forbidden pools for the same reason mentioned above.


We fought like sisters, made up like sisters, and lived like sisters.


We wore matching raincoats.


Cuddled in the mountains.


And I even convinced her to go camping and jump off things. (I may have taken it too far when I tried to get her barefoot..clearly, I failed.)


Everything was blissful in our world except for one thing.....


See that monkey on the right? For some reason he was always coming around eating my food, using my shower, stealing my clothes (there are pictures to prove this...), stealing my girl, breathing my air, and just taking up way too much space.

I tried to suffocate him with love (I tend to be good at that).


And when that didn't work, I tried to suffocate him literally.



But he wouldn't budge. So I did the unthinkable; I let him come around eating my food, drinking my water, breathing my air, and dating my girl. Every weekend I would see his monkey face, put up with his obnoxious snoring, and let him sit on the couch to watch the Spartans kick some football and basketball ass. I may or may not have given him some hugs...my memory seems to be a little cloudy.

So of course, when I reunited with my lady yesterday, a certain smelly monkey decided to make an appearance.


It's possible that I even missed him a little...I mean, he did live with me part-time for four years.

But, thankfully, that morning the monkey had to work so I got my girl all to myself to do what we do best...



Mimosas and tarot cards. A lazy morning tradition that started over 6 years ago.

After seeing each other at least 5 days a week for four years, and then only seeing each other 5 times in the past three years, I wasn't sure if things would be the same. Both of our lives had drastically changed, and so had we. I was a little nervous..would we understand each others jokes? Would we be understanding and respectful of each others lifestyle choices? Would we giggle for hours to the point of aching abs and bursting bladders? Would we bring out each others quirks and silliness like we used to?





Yes. Yes we would. Because as different as we are, as continents separate us, as new friends and sisters and boyfriends come into our lives, as lives change and evolve, we still have those four years of sisterhood. And in our case, it's strong enough and cherished enough to keep our bond strong. We are unbreakable.

And the monkey is starting to grow on me. I even told her she should keep him...for a few more years anyways :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment