Friday, November 4, 2011

Death Valley: Wildrose Peak

I decided that I need to share more details of actual places with you all and information on how to get there, what to look for, what to avoid, links to maps, etc. While this is very much a personal blog to keep my friends and family informed on my whereabouts (I'm alive! I promise!), I also want it to be a guide to places in case any of you decide to venture out that way.

About a week ago I ventured to Death Valley National Park. I intended to just pass through, thinking that there's not much to see. Oh, was I ever wrong! I ended up staying for 2 days. If you, or someone you know, is contemplating vising Death Valley DO IT! There is so much to see, so much to do, and there is something for everyone. I am more of an adventurous outdoors kind of gal, so a lot of my advice, opinions, and information will be coming from that perspective.

I arrived at Death Valley a few hours before sunset and as soon as I started driving through I knew that I needed to find a campground. Now the great thing about Death Valley is that they have 3 campgrounds that are free of charge and a few in the range of $10-18/night. I stayed at one of the free campgrounds called Wildrose. A few miles up the road are the other two free campgrounds (Thorndyke and Mahogany Flats), but to get to them you follow a fairly rugged dirt road and I didn't want to risk getting a flat, so I happily stayed at Wildrose. It was a great campground; easily accessible, private sites, bathrooms, and clean drinking water. Another really great thing about the free campgrounds is that they are at a higher elevation so you are surrounded by beautiful mountain views and evergreens. The campgrounds with the fees are located in the salt flats, since that is one of Death Valley's main attractions. And because you are so removed from the main attraction- you are also removed from the tourists and the people traffic. But- it's all about your personal preference. This was mine.

Wildrose Campground is roughly 40 miles from the west entrance and it is a gorgeous drive. Absolutely breathtaking. The soft rolling hills will take your breath away, and as you go up in elevation the views are stunning. Now, the road is in great shape and a very smooth ride; however, there are twists and turns up the wazoo so a trailer would have a difficult time maneuvering. Something to keep in mind if you're not a light traveler.



When I got to the campground, I was unable to set up my tent because it was so windy. So I slept in my car. It wasn't a big deal for me, but if it's something you'd have a difficult time doing I would make sure to have a few extra hands with the tent setup and make sure to put some heavy stones around your tent to keep it from flying away. The wind really is that intense! Also, if you have time, check the weather forecast. If the forecast says windy, it might be a better idea to pay and stay in the salt flats where the wind is not so intense.

The following morning I decided to climb to the Wildrose Peak. The trailhead is roughly 7 miles up the road by the Charcoal Kilns. You can't miss it! The length of the trail is 4.2 miles, so 8.4 miles roundtrip. The views are unbelievable, especially for the last 2 miles. If you are ever at Death Valley, make sure you do this hike. I can't say enough great things about it. However, it is moderately strenuous. The hike up is 4.2 miles uphill with a fairly steep grade for the last 2 miles. Also make sure you have good traction on your hiking shoes and bring plenty of water. I brought a gallon and finished it all by the end of the hike. The way down is a little rough on the joints with the fairly steep (downhill) grade, and I found myself sliding a bit. Trekking poles would have been very helpful.


The last mile of the hike. You can see the trail on the left and the beautiful views it's exposed to.
Almost at the top.
About half a mile from the peak.
Wildrose Peak marker. The whole hike is an approximate 5500 foot elevation gain.

Enjoying the views!

View from the peak.

Another view from the peak.

So if you are in decent shape and would like to challenge yourself- make the climb to Wildrose Peak. You won't be disappointed!

1 comment:

  1. I think you had a wonderful experience in your trip through the Death Valley National Park. The photos you took are just amazing! It's a great idea of a future vacation.

    ReplyDelete