Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gear Review: REI Taj 3

I decided that about once or twice a week I'm going to do gear reviews. With the amount of traveling I do, I go through a lot of gear; some of it I absolutely love, and some of it...not so much.

Today I would like to introduce you to the best tent that I have ever owned (and trust me, I've owned and used quite a few).

The REI TAJ 3 (2009 Special Buy)


When looking for a tent there are a few crucial details I focus on:

1. Weight: Whether you are backpacking, or not, the weight of your tent is very important. First, the lighter the tent, the easier the assembly (at least in my experience.) It is easier to handle, easier to transport, easier to take down, and of course, if backpacking, it doesn't add unnecessary weight to your pack.

2. Capacity: How many people will be sleeping in the tent? Keep in mind that a 3 person tent would probably be most comfortable for two people, and a two person tent would probably be most comfortable for one, unless you really like to snuggle and don't mind your sleeping partner(s) breathing down your neck. As you can probably tell, I really like a little space when sleeping. I'm not much of a cuddler and I'm also not the most "graceful" sleeper, so for my sake and my sleeping partner(s) sake, I usually go for a larger tent. However, when backpacking you really have to think whether you want the added weight of a larger tent. Even for myself, I would not. Which brings me to my next point,

3. Purpose: Are you looking for a backpacking tent or just a camping tent? Will you be using your tent for extended periods of time (weeks) or just in increments of days once in a while? Thinking about this will help you decide what is important in YOUR tent and help you narrow down to a few choices while saving some moolah ($$).

4. Construction: How many pieces would I have to assemble? No one wants a tent with a million parts. Is it waterproof yet still breathable? Is the meshing "no-see-um" proof? (No-see-um's are those little flies, smaller than mosquitoes that usually get through most meshing.) Is it a stand alone or stake-in tent? How many times do the poles cross? (FIY: The more times the cross the more sturdy the construction, and the less chance of it blowing away in a wind storm).

There are so many more things to consider, but those are the main factors I keep in mind without getting into technicalities. Now back to my beloved Taj 3.

Music Fest Beauties

When buying this tent, I was not looking for a backpacking tent. I was looking for something durable, breathable, and livable. At the time, I just needed a good home for music festivals. After doing some extensive research I found the Taj 3. And let me tell you, it has not disappointed! It has survived 2 years of music festivals (during which it got heavy use for 3-4 days at a time at least once a month), countless camping trips, two backpacking trips, heavy rain on the Pacific Coast and in the Great Lakes, intense winds in Nevada, and snow.

And in the 2+ years that I've had it, and the 300+ times that I've used it it has always kept me dry and there has never been any condensation. The design of this tent is divine. It is considered to be a 3 person, 3 season, backpacking tent. And while it is large enough for 3 people, I prefer to use it for two leaving ample room to keep packs and other gear inside.  It is really easy to set up with 3 collapsible poles, the tent, the rainfly, the footprint, and stakes. It can serve as both a free standing and stake in tent, but I prefer to stake it in when I can. It also has lots of storage inside with a little attic and lots of pockets to store your things.

I simply cannot praise this tent enough. It is roomy, breathable, light, and sturdy! It is an absolute dream and I look forward to using it for many, many, many more years to come.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info. Not a whole lot of reviews on the Taj 3, not as much as say the Half Dome 2 from REI. You might of sealed the deal on this tent for me, especially when the cost is less than the Half Dome 2 today (REI OUTLET SALE).

    ReplyDelete