Monday, August 15, 2011

Mexico, I Love You: Part 1


I decided that I would attempt to do semi-regular updates from Mexico. Yes, they will all be posted at once as soon as I get back, but they will have some sort of chronological organization. However, since I have so many pictures and stories to share, my Mexican adventure will have to be split into multiple parts. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 6, 2011.
I hate flying. I would rather get my teeth pulled at a dentist’s office than board a plane. But…here I am. And you know what? I actually did good. No cocktails for me on this flight!!  I think the little personal T.V. built-in the seat in front of me with all the free movies, music, and games might have had something to do with it.  I was totally distracted playing “Bookworm” and when turbulence hit, I didn’t grasp my arm rests in sheer terror but got irritated at not being able to navigate the touch screen in front of me.  I can hear the little voice now, “Nice job, kid. Nice job.”
But while the flight filled me with a sense of confidence, it quickly dissipated as soon as that plane door opened. We were herded onto a bus like a flock of sheep and then spent 2 hours trying to get through customs and another hour getting our baggage and dodging locals attempting to sell you things at ridiculous prices.  Finally, we found our “guys in navy pants and flower print shirts” (that’s what we were told to look for. Awesome.), boarded our little van, and spend the next 2 hours being chauffeured to our resort.  Lucky for me, I got the VIP seat (shotgun!), and didn’t have to cram in with the other vacationers. Unlucky for the driver, I fell asleep and may or may not have snored. A little.
When I opened my eyes and wiped the drool off my face (maybe),  I decided to get to know this little man next to me playing Bob Marley on his crazy looking IPod while restraining from driving like a local.
“Hola.”
“Hola. Como te lammas?”
“Yelena, y tu?”
“Pedro. You speak some Spanish?”
“Un poco.”
“(Some really fast crazy Spanish words that sound like gibberish)”
“Ohh…I don’t know those words.”
Laughter.
I learned that Pedro has lived in Playa del Carmen all of his life, his mother was part of the Mayan lineage, he played pro-soccer for a little while, he’s never been outside of Mexico, and he gets to swim in the ocean everyday if he chooses to. Tough life, I tell you. But as soon as that thought crosses my mind this happens-
“So you said you live in Michigan?”
“Yes.”
“How is the winter? It’s beautiful?”
“It is. Well, until January hits and you’re ready for the snow to melt.”
“Ooohhh. Snow. It’s beautiful?”
“Yes. But it does get difficult driving through it sometimes. And you have to shovel your driveway, and hope that the roads are shoveled, and pray that your shoes stay dry as you walk out to your car.”
“But it’s beautiful?”
“Yes. It is.”
“I’ve never seen snow.”
And at that moment my heart broke just a bit and I found a new appreciation for snow… Ask me again in January and I may have changed my mind.
“Well, maybe one day you will Pedro.”
“Yes. Maybe someday.”
When we got to the resort, aside from checking in and dropping off our luggage, I threw on my bathing suit, grabbed a Margarita, and bolted for the ocean. Did I mention that my lovely friend Iryna made a few friends for us? (A little back story: Iryna arrived at the resort a week before me and then we met up for another week of relaxation).  Four margaritas and 6 hours later, I forced myself out of the luke warm waters and into my bed.  I have to say; I don’t understand why people choose the pools when there’s a whole ocean in front of them. You definitely won’t find me in a pool this week. Until next time!

Our Beach!

Resort at night (photo credit: Iryna Sazonova)


 Monday, August 8
Yesterday I spent the whole day on the beach. Seriously, from 7am-7pm (excluding a 2 hour nap from 3-5pm), I had a very efficient routine of swimming in the ocean, drying off in the sun, getting a drink, and starting all over again. Ocean, sun, drink, repeat. I even took an ocean kayak out with Iryna; but when we saw a huge mass of “sea turtles” only to realize that it was a huge mass of rocks, I knew I probably had a little too much sun that day. Well, a little too much doesn’t even begin to explain it. The backside of my body looks like an overripe tomato and any fabric that touches it feels like thousands of needle pricks. My number one goal on this trip was not to get burned. And I failed on day 1. 
   Now before you get on my case about sun block, I should mention that I wore SPF 85. But I guess SPF 85 doesn’t shield you from 10 hours of intense Mexican sun exposure. And having the sensitive, fair Baltic skin I happen to have doesn’t help either. So today, I’m hanging out in the hotel room. No ocean for me today. And as much as that sucks, I’m actually kind of looking forward to it. And I know my body will be grateful; maybe it will even forgive me for frying it and stop hurting by tomorrow. I’m also keeping it light on the food, so that my body can focus all its energy on healing my skin and not digesting food. Lots of rest, lots of water, and lots of quiet time.
            That is actually one thing I’m really starting to miss- my alone time. I’m the kind of individual who requires at least an hour of quality alone time every day. And at an all-inclusive resort, it’s very difficult to find that. There is absolutely no escape from people, staff, and the noise. It’s quite overwhelming, actually. So I’m looking at my bed-ridden day as a blessing; I’ll get to journal, read, watch some movies, and just spend some quiet time with my Self, by myself.

Tuesday, August 9
I realized last night that ever since I got to Mexico I’ve been in a funk. And I didn’t realize this until I snapped out of my funk. And I snapped out of my funk by taking a little bit of alone time to soak everything in. I like to be alone at times. In fact, I need to be alone at times in order to unwind and put everything in perspective, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
So yesterday after lying in bed and resting until 5pm, I decided to roll out of bed and hit the beach.  So I put on some pants and a long sleeved shirt (I wasn’t risking doing more damage to my skin than I already have), and just walked along the coast with Iryna and our friend Sean to get away from the resort circus. And just being away from that craziness quickly lifted my mood. In fact, it wasn’t long before I was the same ‘ole Yelena my friends were waiting for. 
Our friend, Sean. He's French. Maybe that's why he said me and Iryna are two of the nicest people he's ever met. I think he's nuts. Well, maybe not. We are pretty awesome. (Notice the long sleeved shirt).

Iryna and I. Notice the long sleeved shirt again. I wasn't kidding. No more sun damage for me!

After the long, rejuvenating walk, Iryna and I soaked in the ocean until the sun was well past the horizon. I can’t put into words how magical it was. The sun turned beautiful pastel colors and the water vibrated with turquoise waves. I couldn’t fathom getting out of the water to take a picture. But maybe later in the week I will. I did get a shot of our little crab friend, though. Ain’t he a cutie?

Finally out of the water; well after the sun went down!

The night consisted of some dinner and tarot card fun. 

Perfect night. It feels good to be back.
Today I’m gonna try and stay out of the sun and make sure my back is covered up really well. I’ll probably grab a Corona and sit in the shade reading, enjoying the singing of the ocean. And of course, as soon as the sun isn’t deathly, I’ll be the first one in the water. Tomorrow, we’re going to Chichen Itza (ancient Mayan ruins, now a Wonder of the World). I can’t wait to feel the vibrations of the Mayans and enjoy the serenity of the landscape. Updates coming soon (but of course you’ll be reading them all at once)!

**Check back tomorrow for Part 2**

1 comment: